Beef Curry & Dumplings
TJM Sunshine Coast Drive Weekend | Kenilworth February 2015
Cooking Competition, winning recipe by Colin
- 1.5kg blade steak
- 3 tablespoons butterkid3
- 1 onion
- 2 peeled green apples
- 2 medium bananas
- 1 tbsp curry powder (or to taste)
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 3 cups water
- 1 beef stock cube
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Salt, pepper to taste
- 2 cups self raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- Coat meat in flour and brown in 90g of melted butter.
- Add chopped onion, cook 1 minute.
- Add water and stir.
- Peel and dice apples and bananas and add to pot with curry power, beef stock, brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook until meat is tender on low heat*
- Don’t let your camp oven run out of water or it will burn.
- Cook for approximately 2 hours.
- Mix self raising flour and salt in a bowl.
- Add enough milk to combine together.
- Not too wet and not too dry is the trick.
- Drop in approximately two tablespoons of dumpling mix at a time.
- Close lid and leave for approximately 20 minutes on medium heat.
- I don’t put heat on top of the lid.
* prepare your fire prior and pre heat your camp oven. Or if at home cook on the stove in a large pot on a low heat so just simmering.
NOTE: Make sure you still have a fair bit of liquid in your camp oven when you add the dumpling mix. Dumplings will absorb some of the liquid when cooking.